Healthy Start Student Support Program is a department of the Bear Valley Unified School District and consists of two components:
- Healthy Start Collaborative - Healthy Start partners with local health, mental health, social service agencies and community organizations to ensure that youth and families can access health, mental health, social services, and basic needs resources in the community.
- Kiwanis Gifts for Kids/Holiday Giving Collaborative - A collaborative group of organizations, churches and service groups that coordinate the distribution of toys, food baskets and clothing during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Healthy Start facilitates meetings and manages the database of needy children and families.
- Big Bear Mental Health Alliance - Alliance partners work toward increasing capacity of mental health agencies and promoting access to mental health services through Healthy Start school based referrals. Partners include Lutheran Social Services, Desert Mountain Children's Center, DOVES, Big Bear Center for Change, Bear Valley Community Healthcare District, Law Enforcement, and San Bernardino County Dept. of Behavioral Health.
- Mountain Communities Health Fair - Led by Big Bear Lions Club and the Healthcare District that promote health access and vision care through their annual health fair.
Healthy Start Student Support Program provides school based non-academic supports for students in transitional kindergarten through high school.
Healthy Start Health Aides assist the district nurse by providing daily health services, medication management and health screenings.
Healthy Start Family Advisors assist students with non-academic behavioral and educational supports. Family Advisors:
- Teach classroom character education lessons regarding bullying, cyber-bullying, friendships, and reputation.
- Conduct individual and small group sessions for students dealing with loss, emotion control and peer relationships and monitor student progress.
- Provide student and family referrals to local health, mental health, and social services and coordinate multiple resources.
- Identify and provide services to our homeless and foster students.
Healthy Start staff are located at the following schools:
- Baldwin Lane Elementary School
- Big Bear Elementary School
- North Shore Elementary School
- Big Bear Middle School
- Big Bear High School
- Chautauqua High School (Big Bear High School Family Advisor serves students)
We nurture healthy and successful students from preschool age through high school by addressing their mental, physical and emotional health.