Student Services » Caregiver Affidavit

Caregiver Affidavit

A Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit is an official form based on California’s recognition that adults who have minors living with them are “caregivers” who often want and need to take some responsibility for the minor’s education and other care. A relative who has signed a Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit may enroll a child in public school, make school-related medical decisions, and make other important decisions on the minor’s behalf. Non-relatives may also use this form to enroll a child in school and to receive school related medical treatment. According to California Law, schools and medical care providers must accept this form if it completed correctly. It is important to note that only the caregiver is required to sign the form, not the minor’s parents. California Law specifically sets out the requirements for the affidavit.


You can use the Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit to enroll a child in school if:

  • you are over the age of 18, and
  • you take care of a child who lives in your home, but
  • you do not have a court order that gives you custody of the child.
A copy of the form is provided below. For more information about a Caregiver's Authorization Affidavit, please contact the school site.